You may be aware that I read a fair bit. You may not be aware that I have stacks and stacks of books that have piled up over the years that I have not yet read. Every year, I tell myself that I'm going to focus on reading what's in that pile first and not on the new books that come in the door. Every year, I fail miserably. But I would really like to get that pile down. And somehow, I stumbled on Roof Beam Reader's 2014 TBR Pile Challenge. And I'm going to give it a shot.
The idea is fairly simple - read 12 books that have been on your TBR pile for more than 1 year. I've pulled 12 books off the shelf, along with 2 to count as alternates and I'm going to dive right in. One of the books is actually one I've already started reading but I'm hoping it still counts since I'm only on page 255 and it's 1070 pages and I've been working on it since April of last year.
Without further ado, here are my books:
1. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (the one already in progress) - been on my TBR since 2009, finished on April 22
2. The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo - been on my TBR since 2011
3. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles - been on my TBR since 2012, finished on July 26
4. The Power of Why by Amanda Lang - been on my TBR since 2012, finished on April 4
5. Switch by Chip & Dan Heath - been on my TBR since 2010, finished July 21
6. The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson - been on my TBR since 2010
7. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - been on my TBR since 2006, finished July 8
8. Intellectual Capital by Thomas A. Stewart - been on my TBR since 2006
9. Crow Lake by Mary Lawson - been on my TBR since 2009, finished on April 27
10. Of Human Freedom by Epictetus - been on my TBR since 2010, finished on January 7
11. The Smartest Guys in the Room by Bethany McLean & Peter Elkind - been on my TBR since 2006
12. The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman - been on my TBR since 2006
My alternates are The Shunning by Marianne Paul (on my TBR since 2007) and Diviserado by Michael Ondaatje (on my TBR since 2008)
Now please excuse me, I'm going to get a start on one of these babies.